Friday, April 15, 2011

Sharing Fun Stuff

I've got quite a few nice websites that I visit regularly to share.



This website was set up slightly more than two years ago and it remains as a bit of an unknown to most Singaporeans. What the creator does is that he will draw pictures on little post-its with inspirational quotes on them. He then pastes these post-its at various locations all around Singapore so that people may chance across his work and become more motivated. I've been looking around Marine Parade because this seems to be the place that he frequents most but I haven't been lucky enough to find his work yet. His quotes are usually reminders for some of the things that we tend to forget when we are too buried in our work or overly concerned with ourselves, neglecting others around us. In my opinion, some of them are quite pointless - I don't get them at all. However, there are some pretty amazing ones which make me keep going back to the website again and again. He actually made one of Steve Jobs!





This other website is managed by a Samaritan, Frank Warren, who wants to give everyone an opportunity to confess their secrets without revealing their identity. Every Sunday, he will select some of the secrets that are posted to him on a postcard and he will upload them to the website. Quite a number of secrets that I've read are extremely compelling. Some are full of joy but some are extremely poignant like those written by suicidal people. This website was introduced to me quite a few years back so I've been following it for quite a while and I've thought of posting something to him as well. One of the most compelling ones that I've read is someone about how girls think having sex on the beach is very romantic but she doesn't think so - because she has been raped on the beach before. And there was another one from a mother who said that she could not bear to tell her son that Santa Claus had sprained her back this Christmas and might not be able to pay the bills, much less to buy him his toy train. The really heartening thing is that many other followers of the website will step in to either counsel those who are depressed or extend financial help to those in need. It makes the world a better place, honestly.



No comments: